Laird Superfood Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct applies to all individuals and businesses that engage in promotional activities on behalf of Laird Superfood or otherwise have a material connection to Laird Superfood, including employees, agents, contractors, bloggers, celebrity endorsers, brand creator, brand ambassadors, and all other social media influencers, whether they are engaged by Laird Superfood directly or indirectly through an agency (“Influencers” or “You”). As an Influencer, you must clearly and prominently disclose your relationship with Laird Superfood. Your disclosure obligations apply equally to personal blogs, websites, social network pages or posts, and other media.
The following guidelines explain how to comply with Laird Superfood and Federal Trade Commission requirements for making truthful endorsements.
- DISCLOSE MATERIAL CONNECTIONS WITH LAIRD SUPERFOOD
Who: You have a material connection to Laird Superfood if:
- You are paid or compensated by or on behalf of Laird Superfood
- You are given something for free or a discount
- You are an employee, agent, or contractor, or are related to an employee, agent, or contractor of Laird Superfood
- You have any other connection that could impact the weight a person gives your opinion, including participation in the “Laird Superfood Ambassador Program”
Media Channels: The disclosure requirement applies to any materials created, contributed, distributed, commented on, or modified by you on all media, including:
- Social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest)
- Video platforms (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo)
- Third-party forums and review sites (e.g., Reddit, Yelp)
- Personal blogs
- Third-party affiliate marketing sites
- Interviews/media appearances
Types of Communication: The disclosure requirement applies to any communication that could be interpreted to promote or highlight the benefits of Laird Superfood or its products. The requirements can apply even if you do not actually write about Laird Superfood (e.g., merely posting a photo showcasing a Laird Superfood product on social media is enough). Here are common examples where disclosure is required:
- Communications encouraging someone to buy a product or otherwise engage with Laird Superfood
- Posting on social media in connection with the Laird Superfood Ambassador Program and/or tagging @lairdsuperfood
- Content you share from LairdSuperfood.com, including products and articles, as well as content you share from any Laird Superfood social media channel
- Sharing third-party content that is arguably favorable to Laird Superfood such as media stories that discuss the brand
- Content you create on your own personal blog or video site that includes information about and promotes Laird Superfood
- Photos, videos, or other content prominently showcasing a Laird Superfood product, retweeting an endorsement, or any other depiction that could be construed as promoting the brand
- ENSURE YOUR DISCLOSURE IS CLEAR AND PROMINENT ON EACH POST ON WHICH YOU ENDORSE A PRODUCT
How to disclose: Disclosures should be easy to see and understand. In other words, it should be clear to the audience that you have a connection with the company. A simple statement about your relationship is often the best option. Another option is to incorporate the disclosure into your post. On social media you can use shorter disclosures if necessary. See below for examples of good disclosures (disclosures should be tailored to the nature of your relationship):
Blogs, Editorial and Product Reviews, Comments in Online Discussions
- I am a Laird Superfood Ambassador
- I received free product from Laird Superfood
- Thanks Laird Superfood for the free product
- I work for Laird Superfood
- I was paid by Laird Superfood
- I am paid by Laird Superfood for each referred sale
- In paid partnership with @lairdsuperfood
Location of Disclosure: Follow these guidelines for placement of the disclosure:
- Disclosures should be located at the beginning, next to, or on top of any applicable communication.
- If you post a gallery of photos, product must be visible in the first visible photo.
- For social media, the disclosure should be in each post (e.g., #ad).
- For video, the disclosure should appear in the video and must be on the screen for long enough to be noticed, read, and understood. For long videos, the disclosure should be repeated. Merely including the disclosure in the video description is not sufficient.
- If you cannot include or fit a disclosure in your posting, please do not use that platform.
Size of Disclosure: The disclosure should be in large enough font for the audience to read and understand it. The disclosure should also be visible regardless of whether viewing online or on a mobile device.
- STATEMENTS MUST REFLECT YOUR HONEST OPINIONS, BELIEFS, OR EXPERIENCES AND MUST NOT BE FALSE, MISLEADING, OR UNSUPPORTED
- Do not make false or misleading claims about a Laird Superfood product (e.g., if you thought a product was bad, don’t say it was great)
- Do not make a claim that cannot be supported (e.g., Laird Superfood has a particular health benefit)
- Don’t hold yourself out as an expert if you are not one
- If you create and distribute advertising or promotional material for Laird Superfood, make sure that is not disguised to look like editorial, news, entertainment, or other non-advertising content
- Ensure all product demonstrations are truthful, fair, and accurate
- Discontinue statements if your communication is no longer true or accurate
- Exercise caution when making conclusory or comparative statements (e.g., better than competitor)
- Do not make false or misleading claims about a competitor’s product or service
- Consider what the reasonable consumer would expect your message to mean, taking into account who you are, how you say it, and assuming the reasonable consumer is not well-educated or well-informed
- THINK BEFORE YOU POST
- Avoid controversial or potentially damaging statements about the Laird Superfood brand
- If applicable, state that your view is your opinion and not representative of Laird Superfood’s view
- Do not make, use, or distribute any offensive comments or sexually explicit material
- Do not disparage, libel, slander, or defame any person, entity, product, or service including a competitive product or service
- Do not promote any potentially unsafe, mind-altering, or illegal activities, including marijuana, CBD, tobacco, alcohol, drugs, guns, weapons, or gambling and wagering in connection with any promotion of Laird Superfood or its products
- Do not link to any content or website that violates this Code of Conduct
- YOUR POSTS ARE SUBJECT TO REVIEW BY LAIRD SUPERFOOD
Laird Superfood periodically reviews materials created by Influencers. If you violate this Code of Conduct, we will remind you about your obligations and reserve the right to terminate your relationship with Laird Superfood at Laird Superfood’s sole discretion.