Cranberry Orange Scones
These buttery, melt-in-your-mouth scones have a sweet and tangy flavor that make the perfect breakfast treat for cold fall mornings. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside—pair them with a hot cup of coffee blended up with our Original Superfood Creamer.
Servings: 8 scones
- 2 cups organic all purpose flour (or use your favorite gluten-free baking product)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp Laird Superfood Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut in (coconut oil may be used as an alternative to butter, just get it cold)
- 2 tbsp zest of orange
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried orange pieces
- Optional: ½ cup pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup Laird Superfood Unsweetened Creamer
- Juice from 1 zested orange
- Approximately 1/4 cup room temperature water
- 1 cup Laird Superfood Original Creamer
- Juice from ½ orange
- 1 tbsp unsweetened plain greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt, add just enough to create an icing consistency and then use as a glaze)
- Dried orange pieces for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In mixing bowl combine first four ingredients then cut in cold butter (or cold coconut oil) with a pastry cutter till it resembles a crumbly texture.
- Mix in zest of orange, dried cranberries, dried orange pieces (leave a few for garnish) and chopped nuts (optional).
- In a separate bowl combine 1/4 cup Laird Superfood Unsweetened Creamer, juice from one (1) of the zested oranges and room temperature water and mix to make one (1) cup of orange coconut milk.
- Add this to the flour mixture and gently combine and mix until a soft dough forms. Note that scone dough turns out better when it’s handled less, so do not over mix or knead the dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and gently flatten with the palm of your hand, fold it over, flatten a little, fold it over—repeat four or five times (this is to build layers).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set the folded dough in the center. Gently flatten the dough and shape into a round disk about 1 ½ inches thick. Flour a knife and cut the dough in 1/8ths (like cutting a pie). Gently slide knife under each cut piece to separate the slices.
- Put onto middle rack of oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and set onto a cooling rack. Glaze, top with chopped dried orange pieces and enjoy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sandy is a Naturopathic Clinical Nutritionist, who now spends her working career as Director of Research and Development for Laird Superfood. She passionately believes in food as medicine, and in whole food as the foundation for good health. Sandy's previous experience has led her to advocate for, and design, individualized Nutritional Protocols to be integrated with Functional Medicine treatment plans and she's written numerous articles for medical advocacy groups introducing "food as medicine." When she's not at Laird Superfood developing new whole food products, you'll find her cooking up delicious food to share with family and friends or enjoying the beautiful outdoors of Central Oregon!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.