Golden Energy Bites with Turmeric Superfood Creamer
Posted on June 04 2019
"A superfood plant-based creamer that ups my coffee game AND doubles up as the secret ingredient in golden energy bites that my 6.5-year-old actually inhales? I am SOLD." Kanchan Koya, Ph.D. and mother of two, is always on the lookout for new ways to integrate nourishing spices into her family's diet. She whipped up these easy, kid-approved Golden Energy Bites with Laird Superfood Turmeric Creamer.
This recipe was developed in partnership with Kanchan Koya.
Active time: 15 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Makes about 12 balls
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 6 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp Laird Superfood Turmeric Creamer (plus more to garnish)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- pinch of black pepper (helps with absorption of curcumin, the bioactive component of turmeric)
- pinch of salt
- sesame seeds, to garnish
- Blitz together all ingredients except sesame seeds until it forms dough-like mixture.
- Once the mixture comes together into a dough, use your hands to shape it into balls that are about 1" in diameter.
- Place balls in the freezer for 30-60 minutes to set.
- Roll balls in a mixture of sesame seeds and reserved Turmeric Superfood Creamer.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
About the Author
Kanchan Koya has a doctorate in Molecular Biology from Harvard Medical School, training from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, and knows that food can be the best and most powerful preventative medicine. While studying DNA repair as a Ph.D. student, Kanchan's lab began studying the cancer-fighting powers of curcumin, the active compound in the ancient spice, turmeric. This sparked Kanchan's interest in the science-backed health benefits of spices, which she had grown up enjoying on a daily basis in India. Upon becoming a mother, she founded Spice Spice Baby, a platform dedicated to shedding light on the healing potential of spices, demystifying them for a global audience, and inspiring their use in food for the whole family. Her book Spice Spice Baby: 100 Recipes with Healing Spices for your Family Table is available now.